What we do

Beginning operations in 1928, Albion Glass & Mirror Co Pty Ltd is Brisbane’s leading retail glass merchant. We are glass merchants and are now Australian distributor's for Glastar glass grinders. Glastar equipment such as Diamond Star and Superstar II are now available here in Brisbane, Queensland, as well as parts and accessories to suit. We're proud to be official Glastar agents in Australia, and look forward to helping you out with any of your glass grinding requirements.

As specialists in glass and aluminium, Albion Glass and Mirror provide the following products and services;

Our History

Albion Glass & Mirror Co Pty Ltd is one of Brisbane’s longest running family businesses with 79 years of continuous operation by the same family. Joeseph Barnard began operations in 1928 from a small rented flat diagonally opposite the Albion Hotel just as the Great Depression was starting. In difficult times Joeseph travelled  via tram around the inner city carrying glass offcuts and leadlights in a canvas bag and putty in his pockets. He would visit any building site or customer with a need seeking orders. Due to complaints from neighbours in the flats, the business was briefly relocated to Upper Lancaster Rd Ascot.

In 1932 the business was relocated to its present hi visibility site on the Albion Fiveways. Trade was brisk with post war housing boom, with many of Brisbane’s outer suburbs being built at this time. A large warehouse facility was developed in the early 1980’s to store large quantities of float glass imported from overseas. This was primarily done to combat the rampant Inflation of this period as raw material costs were rising rapidly.  With the economic recession of the early 1990’s the demand for building glass declined. Subsequently the business diversified into the area of teaching glass craft and selling related hobby supplies.

In 1995 Jan Barnard was awarded the American Art Glass Suppliers association industry award for the highest level of commitment to the Art Glass industry worldwide. By the late 1990’s the economy had improved and the demand for building glass had returned. Technology had progressed.  This marked the beginning of a perpetual program of capital acquisitions to automate the factory improving productivity and lead times. In the last decade computerized polishing, cutting, beveling and administrative facilities have been installed. Container unloading facilities have also been installed.